4.22.2010

Coffee Filter Earth

Happy Earth Day to all! I'll be posting a few other Earth Day activities over the next few days too.
Here is the "Earth" that M1 made the other day. This is a fun project that I did with my younger students years ago & it was one that came to mind while thinking about Earth Day activities. I found similar directions HERE at DLTK's. I've seen other activities like this one that use food coloring & wax paper v.s. markers. (You could definitely search that if you're looking for something a little more difficult.) But in my case, this was nice & easy for M1. What kid doesn't love to scribble?

Supplies- *Coffee Filter, *Spray Bottle w/ Water, *Green & Blue Washable Marker, *Scotch Tape, *Newspaper
1. Tape the coffee filter down to help it stay flat. I taped it onto a round piece of plastic to protect our table.
2. Have your child scribble green "land" & blue "water" all over the filter. (If your child is a bit older, you may want to have a picture of the Earth for them to copy or use as a guide to make it appear more realistic.)
3. Transfer the filter to a piece of newspaper.
4. Have your child pick up the spray bottle & spray water all over the colored filter. It will start to bleed right away. Spray until it's blended to your liking. (We reused an empty bottle of stain remover, cleaned it out & filled it with water.)
5. Allow some time to dry & you've got one cool Earth!
If you're interested in doing a bit more, I've also seen them glued onto a piece of blue or black construction paper once they're dry.
  
Enjoy! s.b.

1 comment:

  1. I want to come to your house and do art & crafts with you.
    How fun loved that your child got to do this craft.Never to old to learn new tricks.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete